Friday, September 21, 2007

Wikis for Lovers

Assignment #16- Exploring Wikis.

So, I like that wikis seem to be so intuitive to use. A click here and a click there does the job nicely. For an individual with little time or who is low on the technology food chain, wikis are open to anyone who wants to contribute or collaborate on a topic. Having said this, I do admit that I am more comfortable with the creation of wikis by a smaller group of people who have a shared goal or project. I am more likely to trust the veracity of an established and perhaps limited network of collaborators on a web site than the open-ended contributions of anyone. It's fun to browse Wikipedia about pop culture, for instance; but I'm still going to other reliable sources for my information. It never hurts to check out more than one.

It would be very innovative of HCPL to use the wiki-concept for planning our 2008 summer reading program. Having a wiki would possibly allow the children's librarians to use less time at the bi-monthly children's meetings on SRP but keep the discussion and planning moving along outside our established meetings.

No comments: